Friday, February 29, 2008

That trial

We had a sentencing hearing today from my trial earlier this week. He got 36 months with 12 to serve, credit for the 63 days he's already been in jail. If he finishes a drug program before his time elapses, he can get released if he's been good.


The trial itself was a great learning experience. It was the first time I have taken a case "all the way" on my own. I've been a right-hand attorney, but never 'the man' on a case. I picked the jury, opened, closed, and everything in between. I got a directed verdict on two counts of family violence battery and I got the jury to acquit on two more counts. Unfortunately, they found him guilty of the six remaining counts. The good news was that he was no longer facing 10 counts, or 120 months in jail, and only 6 counts, or 60 months. Some counts merged, so he ended up with a 36 month sentence. Overall, not a bad experience. He was happy with my representation, so I feel like I served him well.

No comments: