Thursday, July 03, 2008

Bar Complaints

I received notice of a complaint today. It is not a Bar Complaint yet, but it is a written complaint and the director of my office will respond on my behalf.

I represented this guy at trial a few months ago, and I got a directed verdict on two of three counts in the accusation. He was convicted of the third count, but he was time-served, no more jail time.

During the state's case he talked to me so much, and said the same thing over, and over, and over, and over so many times, I missed a lot of testimony from the state's only witness. So, in that regard, maybe I let him down by not asking the judge for a ball gag.

His complaints range from non-communication to refusal to ask for a Directed Verdict. That makes me wonder: "How did I get a Directed Verdict if I refused to ask for one?" In his letter he says that I should be disbarred.

3 comments:

Remy, Esq. said...

Our worst enemy is many times our own clients...

AdamTheLawyer said...

Welcome to life as a PD.

You'll eat your share of bar complaints, you'll deal with the habeas petitions from bored post-conviction clients, you'll learn the route to Milledgeville by heart.

And that's the least of it. That's before the legislature starts getting involved.

The "communication letters" or whatever they're called aren't that big a deal; the bar sits for 30 days, then sends a letter to both parties saying "I trust you've worked it out" and destroys all the records. If someone from the Bar calls you, you have a bit of a problem. I'd recommend calling them back. :)

Jay said...

Yeah, I've gotten a bar complaint.... that one was from a mental health client. This guy is just a crazy stalker.